Friday, November 23, 2007

It's my duty to take a break from my family...

I never want to see another plate in my life, unless it is made out of paper. Today is Thanksgiving Day, and my mother generously offered to host this wonderful holiday at our house this year. Actually, we get stuck hosting Thanksgiving Day at our house every year. Around two o’clock this afternoon, the guests began to flock in. First there were the appetizers, and the forty dishes that they were served and/or eaten on. After the appetizers were cleared off of the table, and prior to setting up the Thanksgiving Day feast, I had to help my mom wash all of the dishes she had used for cooking. After lunch, we had to wash about forty more dishes, and less than two hours later, the dessert dishes began piling up. From my experience, it would be rational to conclude that I spent the majority of my holiday in front of the kitchen sink; therefore, I am planning to personally invest in some paper plates for next year.

Although no amount of lotion could cure my hands, which, I might add, still feel dry thanks to the fact that they were drowned in dishwater all day, there was a very significant benefit to being awarded the job of dishwasher on this particular holiday. The good thing about making an effort to help my mom by washing dishes was that I was stuck in the kitchen and didn’t have to spend a whole lot of time with my family. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family, but they have the capability of driving me insane after about three straight hours. At our table, there are always, at a minimum, four different conversations happening simultaneously, with three out of those four happening all the way across the table, not to mention the older family members who repeat what they say ten times or more. Our family gatherings are full of multiple, loud, passionate conversations. Having to go to the kitchen to wash dishes allowed me to take a break from my family and all of the noise associated with them.

These periodic breaks gave my head a rest. That is to say until one of my older cousins thought that this was her chance to talk to me about law school. Claiming that she wanted to make sure I was making the right decision in choosing a career in law, she went on and on about her own experience, “I had five classes during the day, and about 250-300 pages of reading every night”, she boasted. She knew just how to put a damper on the day. All in all, if I had to describe my family in one word, that word would have to be ‘interesting’. At this point, I am going to end my blog session because I am exhausted, and I have to get some sleep so I have enough energy to wake up early tomorrow and go to the zoo… I mean the mall.




Photo Credit: http://www.adamzyglis.com/images/cartoon398.jpg