Friday, September 28, 2007

It's My Duty To Vacation

Last night I dreamt that I was vacationing in South Beach again. For my 21st birthday last year, rather than pursuing the regular route of gathering the girls together for a weekend in Las Vegas, I chose to travel to South Beach (commonly referred to as SoBe), Florida instead. A couple of weeks prior to our departure date, I received word of spontaneous thunderstorms that occurred daily around the area of our hotel, and lasted up to six hours. I knew that July was considered “hurricane season” in that region but it’s not my fault my birthday is on July 1st. Despite my concern, I boarded a plane and landed in Miami – after the pilot flew around in circles above Miami International Airport for two hours, due to the thunderstorms.

In spite of the terrible weather we encountered upon arrival, my mood completely changed when we stepped into the upscale, all suite Savoy Hotel located right on Ocean Avenue. I couldn’t help but smile when I walked into our beautiful two-bedroom, oceanfront suite. I was later informed by the concierge that the Savoy was once a nightclub (“Woody’s”) owned by Ron Wood, the guitarist for the Rolling Stones. Immediately after we settled in, we also experienced a dramatic change in luck as the sun came out and the clouds disappeared. In fact, we didn’t see a single cloud for the rest of the entire weekend which even surprised the locals who were also expecting daily showers.

We had great weather, a gorgeous hotel and an amazing private beach, so what more can a 21 year old girl ask for? How about nightlife? Just a mere block away from our hotel were some of the most high-end and prestigious clubs in the nation, such as Mansion and Cameo. My personal favorite had to be an exclusive spot named B.E.D., which technically stands for beverage, entertainment and dining. However, as the trendy name suggests, it also happens to serve you dinner on king sized beds, full of pillows and separated by white curtains. On our last night in beautiful South Beach, we went to Niki Beach in an effort to fully experience upscale Miami. This venue was located on the beach, and was all about the scene. Beautiful people dressed in all white met with cool vibes on a dance floor, while others either sat around, or lay on the back beds outside.


My experience in SoBe, Miami was amazing, and I am already planning a trip back for my birthday next July!
Photo Credit: click on pictures for hyperlink