Friday, September 14, 2007

It's My Duty to Volunteer

This weekend, I begin my new job with two consecutive days of orientation and training. I have mixed emotions regarding this job, because although I am nervous, I'm also anxious to begin. About three years ago, when I began university, I chose to pursue law. Little did I know that these days, trying to get into one of the nation's best law schools is more competitive than the experience I had a couple of years earlier, as a high school graduate, applying for university. Law schools want well-rounded students who are active and involved on campus. They want students who have completed internships relevant to the field; they want recommendation letters, high GPAs, high LSAT scores and more.

In an effort to meet the internship requirement, I applied for the new JusticeCorps project. JusticeCorps is the legal branch of AmeriCorps and it basically offers law students an opportunity to serve their community while educating them about the law. Aside from the fact that this program encompasses students in a legal environment, I knew that any information I acquired while working with JusticeCorps would aid in my success in Law School.

JusticeCorps was founded on the basis of the fact that California has experienced a rise in self-represented litigants. Many of these individuals appear before the court without professional legal representation simply because, they just can't afford it. The issues they face range from divorce and family issues, to probate and other civil cases. These litigants lack knowledge of basic court orders or legal processes, which hinders their ability to resolve their legal matters. This problem also impacts the society because it results in a lack of public trust in the judicial system.

As a JusticeCorps member, my task will be to give legal advice and information to self-represented litigants, thus I will be trained in various legal areas including contracts, small claims, and family law. While all of this legal information will help prepare me for Law School, I am happier knowing that my volunteer work will ultimately benefit the community.